Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Starting from San Jose CR

Amidst all my travels I have never kept a travel blog. Perhaps because my destinations have been places frequented by the average traveller or perhaps because I'm lazy. Either way, this trip is slightly different. I am visiting places that most people wont, or are yet to have the opportunity to, see. So, here is my attempt at documenting my travels...

San Jose, CR- 3/6/14

The journey here was long, like most when starting from Australia. A twelve hour stop-over in LA provided the opportunity to catch up with some old friends and some much needed rest after a sleepless flight over the Pacific.

With jet lag in full swing I arrived in San Jose's central district during morning peak hour. After a couple hours of rest and freshening up, I headed out to capture my surroundings. The city is set up like a grid with the streets and avenues numbered, making it near impossible to get lost. After wandering many of the pedestrian streets for a couple of hours my searching for any food other than the excessive fast food options was reaching its limits until I found a busy bakery and arrived at my first admittance that I, in fact, do not speak Spanish. (No habla Español)

Walking down the street I blend in whilst silent. With all the noise in this part of town my silence goes unnoticed, particularly with all the street sellers yelling/advertising their various stock from fruit to scissors, from mobile recharge cards to bra straps. They aren't the only ones causing a commotion, the green man signalling safety to cross the road is coupled with a loud, bird-like whistle and the sparring big trees are infested with lorikeets, or similar, and they are all contesting the sound space.

There is a real sense that there are few tourists in the part of town I've been exploring, I haven't heard any language except Spanish. The city hasn't changed its ways to cater for tourists like many other places I have travelled. Although this provides more challenges for me to navigate it is refreshing to not be hounded by the informal tourist industry. For the most part once I say 'no habla Español' or ask '¿Habla Ingles?' I just get a 'ah no' and they give up. Only this morning while on the hunt for breakfast a waiter called the passing police officers over in the hope that they spoke English. Failing that, the policeman went after another officer who could speak English. By that time I had pulled out my phone and translated breakfast (desayuno) and been taken to a seat to then dissect the menu.

The police presence is very high, every block has at least two officers (almost equally male and female) on either foot, motor or bicycle. Certainly a contributing factor into the safety I feel wandering around 'solo'. The city is significantly safer and cleaner than expected and there are very few homeless.

Although the temperature isn't very high (25 Celsius currently) the humidity keeps you feeling a tad stifled and air conditioning is a luxury of the larger franchises and department stores. My humble little hostel has a fan, which does the job.

Although the last 48 hours of transit and exploration have been time well spent, I eagerly anticipate the arrival of my travel buddy in the next couple of hours.

- N

(I'll try to upload some photos in future posts)

No comments:

Post a Comment